|The following information
is provided by
the Carroll County Genealogical Society
and can be found on pages 2-3 in their book
"Carroll County Ohio Cemeteries, 1802-1990, Volume I"
Cemetery is located at the Christian Church in Augusta on Andora Road (CR-10).
The first Christian Church in the community was known as the Baker Church.
It was a log structure built at Glade Run Corners in East Township in the early
1800's. There was a cemetery at the site. It is now referred to as
Upper Glade Run Cemetery. Later services were held in the Manfull barn in
Augusta. In 1842 a stone church was built on land donated by
George Manfull and wife,
Mary. The deed which was recorded June 10, 1844
identified it as part of the NW quarter of Section 15 in Township 15 of Range 5
beginning at the NW corner of the meeting house. It was given "for the
purpose of encouraging the preaching of the Gospel and for a site of a meeting
house or place of worship for the First Church of Disciples of Christ in Augusta
and for no other use or purpose whatsoever." Church trustees to whom the
land was deeded were William Elvin, Washington Iddings,
George Manfull Sr. and
In 1881 the church was rebuilt on the original foundation using brick for the
building material. The bell from the old stone church was placed in the
new house of worship and is still in use. In 1887 the church was
incorporated under the formal title, "Christian Church of Augusta." The
men who signed the incorporation papers were Sutton Cunningham,
John L. Dowling,
Samuel Milbourn and Roland Pennock.
The land surrounding the church was a part of the Manfull farm and has remained
in the possession of
Mary Manfull and their heirs. Lots were
sold for burial purposes by family members until 1967 when the current land
Clair L. Manfull, closed the cemetery to future purchasers. On June
30, 1967, J. D. Crawford donated "5 acres more or less of land, which is part of
the SW Quarter of Section 15, Township 15, Range 5, for the sole and only
purpose of providing a cemetery or an addition to the Augusta/Manfull Cemetery."
This land is directly across Andora Road (CR-10) from the old cemetery.
For many years graves were cared for by family members.
Paul Manfull recalls "someone would say the cemetery needs mowing and we
would all go up and mow it." This continued until February 21, 1925 when
the Augusta/Manfull Cemetery Association was formed for the purpose of caring
for the cemetery.
Will Crawford was chairman of the first meeting and the
motion to organize was made by
Andrew Mills and seconded by
It was decided to elect 2 trustees from the
Augusta Christian Church and 2 from
Stillfork Presbyterian Church. The 4 elected trustees were then to
appoint another one.
George Manfull and
Ralph Sheckler were elected trustees. Lot owners were asked for donations and an
endowment fund was set up to be used to care for the cemetery. The name of
the association was changed to the Augusta Cemetery Association September 8,
1972 when the accounts of the Augusta/Manfull Association were combined with
those from the Crawford Cemetery Addition.